Agricultural Utilization Research Institute announces new board members
The board of directors of the Agricultural Utilization Research Institute welcomed two new members and two returning members at its regularly scheduled January meeting. The new and returning members, as following, are:
- New: Minnesota State Representative Debra Kiel, representing the Minnesota State House Agriculture Finance Committee. Rep. Kiel and her husband, Lonn, own and operate a wheat, soybean and sugarbeet farm in Hammond Township.
- New: Jerry Hasnedl, representing a statewide farm organization. Hasnedl, a member of the Minnesota Farmers Union, grew his family farm in St. Hilaire, Minnesota, from 600 acres to 3,200 acres from 1980 through today. He was on the CHS (formerly Harvest States) Board of Directors from 1995-2014, serving as secretary treasurer and chairman of the board for part of that time.
- Returning: Art Brandli, representing a Minnesota research and promotion council. Brandli, a member of the Minnesota Wheat Research & Promotion Council, farmed in northern Minnesota beginning in 1973 and is now managing a transition from production agriculture to forest and wildlife production for the new owner.
- Returning: John Gilbertson, representing a statewide farm organization. Gilbertson, a member of the Minnesota Farm Bureau, operates a cow-calf and backgrounding angus herd operation with his son and grandchildren near Puposky, Minnesota.
The Institute’s Board of Directors consists of nine members, meeting the following requirements found in statute:
- Chairman of the Minnesota House of Representatives Ag Committee or designee.
- Chairman of the Minnesota Senate Ag Committee or designee.
- Two representatives of statewide farm organizations.
- Three representatives of Minnesota research and promotion councils.
- Two representatives of Minnesota agribusiness.
This edition of Ag Innovation News brings you an interview with one of AURI’s newest board members, Carolyn Olson. She brings a wealth of knowledge on organic growing and modern farm practices to the organization. She is the current District III Director on the Minnesota Farm Bureau Board of Directors, and chair of the American Farm Bureau Organic and Direct Marketing Issue Advisory Committee.
BY AURI This quarter the Ag Innovation News brings you an interview with AURI board member, John Schafer. John comes from a multi-generational farming family who recently celebrated their centennial in the Hereford cattle business. Therefore, it should come as no surprise he brings a wealth of beef and traditional protein expertise to the board. […]
This quarter the Ag Innovation News brings you an interview with AURI board member, Jerry Hasnedl. Jerry has served with distinction for the last three years, representing Minnesota Farmers Union. In doing so, Jerry brings the necessary talents of critical thinking and problem solving to board meetings and offers unique insight in the area of […]
This quarter, Ag Innovation News is highlighting two of its current board members—recently elected Senator Rich Draheim and current Secretary-Treasurer Art Brandli. Both Directors show a great dedication to AURI and its endeavors, while having unique backgrounds. Hopefully you can see from the side-by-side interviews how diverse opinions and visions for the organization’s future work […]
By Liz Morrison Beer lovers Adam Wagner of Fisher and his father, Tim Wagner, a fourth-generation Red River Valley farmer, have launched an independent craft malting company. Last December, Vertical Malt opened a “micro” malt house in Crookston to malt small batches of barley grown on the Wagner Family’s 2,100-acre farm in Polk County. The […]