1. One bushel of corn roughly equals how much energy?
a. 5 gallons of liquid propane
b. 3.5 gallons of fuel oil
c. 140-kilowatt hours of electricity
d. All of the above
2. How much DDGS was produced in the U.S. in 2006?
a. 800,000 tons
b. 8 billion pounds
c. 8 million tons
3. What agri-processing coproduct was tested as a boiler fuel?
a. Chicken fat
c. Corn gluten meal
4. About how far does the average food item travel from producer to consumer ?
a. 1,500 miles
b. 150 miles
c. 75 miles
5. About what percentage of agricultural commodities are purchased by local consumers?
a. 3 percent
b. 0.5 percent
c. 17 percent
6. What is the key challenge impacting large-scale biomass use?
a. Energy values
7. USA Solutions produces the Compost-A-Mat for what industry?
a. Sporting goods
Answers: 1) d 2) c 3) b 4) a 5) b 6)c 7) c
Are you seeking outlets for selling agricultural residues this year? Check out the updated Midwest Biomass Exchange website at www.mbioex.com – a free internet marketplace designed to connect buyers and sellers of woody and agricultural biomass. Users can place “For Sale” and “Wanted” ads for biomass that can be used as fuel for heating and […]
Advantages of Wood Heat for Commercial Poultry Production Viking Company of Albany, MN, along with partners Clean Energy Resource Teams and the Agricultural Utilization Research Institute, are pleased to announce the release of their findings report on the Advantages of Wood Heat for Poultry field study. The demonstration project field-tested a 1.65 million Btu (British […]
Heating the Midwest with Renewable Biomass May 1-3, 2018 Black Bear Convention Center 1785 Highway 210 Carlton, MN 55718
By AURI Renewable energy is important to Minnesota and the world at large because it offers the ability to power society from a clean and diverse set of sources. AURI understands its importance and plays a meaningful role in the exciting opportunities it offers by developing renewable energy from agricultural products. Even though AURI does […]