Scientists are available to provide consulting and technical services in the areas of:
- Product and process development
- Product evaluation and testing
- Sourcing materials equipment and services
Fermentation and Microbiology Laboratory
AURI’s fermentation and microbiology lab is used for the research and analysis of industrial products.. This facility is used to support projects that have the potential to introduce agricultural commodities as ingredients for industrial products.
- microbiological analysis
- gas analysis
Learn more: Fermentation and Microbiology Laboratory
AURI’s product development lab in Crookston is available to those seeking to introduce new foods to the marketplace. It is especially focused on smaller companies and entrepreneurs who are developing and commercializing new food products.
- food formulation and reformulation
- nutritional assessment
- regulatory assistance
- sourcing ingredients and equipment
Learn more: Food Laboratory
The meat laboratory in Marshall is used for formulation and analytical assessment of animal products. This USDA inspected facility includes equipment for developing and testing new products.
Learn more: Meat Laboratory
Analytical Chemistry Laboratory
The focus of the analytical laboratory is to provide quality analytical and compositional data to promote value-added products from Minnesota agriculture commodities and coproducts. The analytical laboratory tests many sample types including foods, meats, coproducts, and renewable fuels.
- wet chemical analysis
- physical characterization
Learn more: Analytical Chemistry Laboratory
Focused on one to 10 kilograms scale processing of agriculture commodities and coproducts for development and demonstration of increased value from innovative chemical conversions and fractionations systems. A variety of materials (oilseeds, stover, starches, protein concentrates) can be handled with the current equipment and facilities.
- Chemical processing (high pressure/temperature) of straw, stover and other biomass materials
- Extraction and characterization of oils and high-value components from oilseed meal and other feedstocks
- Transesterification and esterification reactions for demonstration of biodiesel processing
- Small-scale fermentation and digestion processes for production of fuels
- Distillation and evaporation for process development
Learn more: Bioproducts Laboratory
Coproducts Utilization Laboratory
This facility in Waseca, which has pilot lab capabilities, is used for the development of new uses for plant and animal coproducts that present environmental and economic opportunities. Focus areas include biomass energy, ag processing by-products and crop residues.
- renewable fuels
- animal feeds
- soil amendments
- size reduction
Learn more: Coproducts Utilization Laboratory