Scientists are available to provide consulting and technical services in the areas of:
- Product and process development
- Product evaluation and testing
- Sourcing materials, equipment and services
Labs are available for clients for hands-on testing and development.
AURI’s microbiology lab is used for the research and analysis of industrial products and to support projects that have the potential to introduce agricultural commodities as ingredients for industrial products.
- microbiological analysis
- gas analysis
Learn more: Microbiology Laboratory
AURI’s food lab is available to those seeking to introduce new foods to the marketplace. It is focused on smaller companies and entrepreneurs who are developing and commercializing new food products.
- food formulation and product development
- nutrition facts labeling and nutritional analysis
- regulatory assistance
- sourcing ingredients and packaging
- analytical food product testing
- guidance on shelf-life
- thermal process and food safety review
- product stability and scale-up
- co-packer or commercial kitchen recommendations
Learn more: Food Laboratory
The meat laboratory in Marshall is used for formulation and analytical assessment of meat products. This facility includes equipment for developing and testing new products.
- product formulation
- co-packer identification
Learn more: Meat Laboratory
Analytical Chemistry Laboratory
The focus of the analytical laboratory is to provide quality analytical and compositional data to promote value-added products from Minnesota agriculture commodities and coproducts. The analytical laboratory evaluates many sample types including foods, meats, coproducts and renewable fuels.
- wet chemical analysis
- physical characterization
Learn more: Analytical Chemistry Laboratory
This facility is focused on one to 10 kilograms scale processing of agriculture commodities and coproducts. Processes are developed and demonstrated for producing increased value materials by fractionation, chemical conversion and purification.
- Chemical processing of straw, stover and other biomass materials
- Extraction and characterization of oils and high-value components from oilseed meal and other feedstocks
- Transesterification and esterification reactions for demonstration of biodiesel processing
- Small-scale fermentation and digestion processes for production of fuels
- Distillation and evaporation for process development
Learn more: Bioproducts Laboratory
Coproducts Utilization Laboratory
This facility is the only value-added lab of its kind in the Midwest. The lab is used for the development of new uses for plant and animal coproducts that present environmental and economic opportunities.
- size reduction
- product characterization
- particle size analysis
Learn more: Coproducts Utilization Laboratory